Senior Mechanical Engineer – London
JOB HOLDER’S PRIMARY OBJECTIVES
Be a motivated, autonomous self-starter who is not afraid to jump in. Must be a good communicator who is able to work in a team and keen to learn new skills and importantly ask questions. This role is fully supported by the more senior mechanical engineers – we work as a team!
Design and run assigned projects in line with the employer’s requirements, regularly reporting progress and undertaking reviews with the team leader. Carry out detailed design, including calculations in accordance with industry standards and guides. Prepare specifications, reports and drawings to the design programme. Participate in the tender and contractor appointment process. Oversee project site works, collaborating with contractors to ensure that the employers’ requirements are achieved. Undertake testing and commissioning, supporting, where necessary, the teams electrical and public health colleagues.
- Work with the team mechanical lead collaboratively to ensure projects are delivered on time and to budget. Team mechanical lead will support and aid development of the successful applicant.
- Design, manage and supervise projects, establish client brief, technical requirements, scope of works and agree deliverables, i.e. report, specifications and drawings.
- Agree level of service, and project design duties with your team leader, for each project, as well as understand relationship with client and project team.
- Assist team leader with monitoring engineering/CAD/Revit resource requirements for each project under your control.
- Carry out mechanical engineering role through concept design to completion on site, ensuring projects are undertaken in accordance with design briefs and that completion deadlines are met.
- Liaise with the (internal and external) design team members to produce co-ordinated designs that are technically compliant, and to a consistent quality and standard. Provide positive contribution to design/project meetings. Maintain regular ‘in house’ design reviews.
- Monitor and control project progress, including minimising design variations.
- Maintain excellent client and design team relationships to achieve high levels of satisfaction and repeat business.
- Co-ordinate with other project team members within HPF.
- Assist team leader with identifying and implementing your personal training/CPD requirements.
- Help develop improved working practices in the company.
- Implement and manage QA systems and procedures on all your projects with the team leaders support.
- Implement Company Health and Safety policy e.g. ensure all designs respond to the CDM regulations.
Preferred Skills & Requirements
- To efficiently and effectively investigate problems, calculate solutions and explain concepts.
- Manually produce and or check calculations from first principles.
- Experience in designing heating and cooling systems.
- Thermal energy assessment using best practice.
- Able to write originally scripted specifications (not NBS) and reports using HPF in-house style.
- Competency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook & PowerPoint.
- A minimum of 6 years engineering experience in building services or related engineering profession.
- Personable and a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Worked on commercial, retail, public and industrial projects.
- Critical system or data centre experience.
- The desire for continuous learning, which shall be supported by HPF’s internal training program and CPD’s.
- Good presentation and communication skills.
- Able to undertake computer modelling, organise and direct the production of CAD drawings and correspond effectively with opposite numbers within other companies.
- Skills in (internal HPF) project managing on-going jobs with limited supervision desirable.
- Experience in the same or similar position is desired.
- The ability to project a positive and professional attitude at all times.
- Educational qualifications to a degree level or equivalent are desired.
- Working towards or already obtained chartered engineer status.
- Member of either IMECHE, IET or CIBSE.
- Able to establish rapport and good working relationships within the project team and Clients.
- To be able to work as part of a team and collaboratively and co-operatively.
- Ability to travel abroad (not too frequently), i.e. for factory tests, site surveys etc.
- Willingness to mentor and support younger engineers with their development.
If you have what it takes to bring buildings to life, please contact Human Resources via email firstname.lastname@example.org on +44 (0)20 8763 5900