Senior Development Consultant – London
JOB HOLDER’S PRIMARY OBJECTIVES
Provide dynamic thermal modelling (IES) and energy/carbon assessment consultancy on development projects within the energy and sustainability team. Manage and support delivery on a project-by-project basis. Assume role of project manager as required, coordinating with immediate ESD colleagues, other internal teams, other external project disciplines and the client.
- Maintain up to date professional competency and knowledge of using and interpreting the ESD chosen engineering design software packages namely: IES and TAS Dynamic Thermal Modelling and FSAP, to enable you to undertake your role and responsibilities in delivering design solutions for low energy, low & zero carbon and inclusive buildings, including but not limited to:
- Mass and Form studies;
- Building Regulation Part L and F compliance;
- Façade studies, including Daylighting, Glare and fabric ratios;
- Thermal and visual Comfort Studies, including Glare;
- Heating and cooling system variants and loads;
- HVAC simulation modelling;
- Low and Zero Carbon technology assessments;
- Optimisation studies of the above;
- Advise and guide project teams to meet the aspired energy and sustainability project agenda.
- Manage other ESD team members
- Undertake successful Quality Audit reviews and integrate lessons learnt on ESD deliverables and projects
- Competent in being able to simplify a thermal/visual model and associated modelling techniques and inputs to generate efficiencies in service line delivery whilst being able to demonstrate an acceptable quality and commercial
- Be proficient in incorporate energy/water efficiency measures and Low Zero Carbon technology (combined cooling, heating and power, solar PV/Thermal, Wind, Biomass Heating/CHP, Ground Source Heat Pumps, Geothermal Heating and Cooling) into the project design and modelling assessment.
- Be able to demonstrate awareness and interaction/interdependencies of Sustainable Building Assessments, specifically relating to energy, thermal and visual credit requirements and modelling techniques relating to BREEAM and CSH. LEED, WELL and HQM are desirable.
- Create and assist in the production of ESD Reports and Planning Applications including assessments on energy supply and demand, District energy
- Maintain professional knowledge of energy and sustainability services policy, legislation, design guidance, reference standards, manufactures and equipment performance data etc.
- When appropriate, develop understanding of new and upcoming legislation and demonstrate how it will impact business
- When required, take on lead roles and project management duties to support ESD and enable the company and ESD team to deliver associated energy and sustainability services on projects. When acting as project manager, co-ordinate with other project disciplines and team members to ensure the provision of quality lead managed service that achieves the right result first
- Ideally the successful candidate should have detailed knowledge and a degree of experience in the following:
- Planning strategy and documentation – energy strategies and sustainability statements
- Building modelling techniques and software variants pros and cons
- Low and zero carbon strategies
- Pre-App meetings with Local Authorities (“LA”) and ideally Stage 1 meetings the GLA in relation to delivering projects through the planning process
- Providing responses to the LA/GLA during the planning determination period
- GLA policy requirements and wider London Borough policies
- Building Services HVAC systems
- Maintain excellent client and design team relationships to achieve high levels of satisfaction and repeat
- Where possible, develop business relationships to support the company in securing additional work and increase development team revenue and deliver revenue targets for the development
- Where possible, identify and pursue new business opportunities where appropriate with existing and new
- When requested, contribute to HPF Energy Policy and strategy for energy and sustainability.
Preferred Skills, Experience & Qualifications
The candidate is to have at least 5-7 years’ experience working within an energy and sustainability design environment, within a recognised engineering practise, and has a detailed knowledge of the design procurement and installation process for major projects.
- An Energy/Sustainability/Building Services/Engineering related degree or
- IES VE and/or TAS, plus SAP Working competency
- Knowledge, experience and or awareness of capability and deployment of Building Physics design software.
- Deliver and maintain knowledge and experience in the support of planning and building control applications in the London area, including latest planning policy requirements and future legislation, regulation and industry
- Ability to competently deliver Energy Strategies and input to Sustainability Statements is
- Demonstrate knowledge of statutory legislation and other associated design standards and guidance.
- Excellent communication/presentation
- Understand and/or correctly interpret client requirements/objectives.
- Skills in self-managing project deliverables and on-going jobs with limited supervision are
- Competency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook &
- Good knowledge and use of appropriate project and design analysis
- Personable and a ‘can do’ attitude with resource management
- The ability to project a positive and professional attitude at all
- Establish rapport and good working relationships within the project team and Clients.
- Work as part as a team and collaboratively and co-operatively.
- Ensure current, and maintain, Assessor accreditation capability in at least one of the following requirements, but not limited to: Building Regulations Part L (plan assessor), LCEA (level 5), OCDEA
- Ideally a working knowledge of delivering BREEAM, LEED, CSH, HQM, WELL credits/point assessment and evidence
- Ideally have working knowledge and experience in delivering CFD assessments for the built
- Ideally have working knowledge and experience in delivering HVAC simulation assessments and advising engineers of ‘best fit’ system solutions in the built environment.
- Ideally have working knowledge and experience in working with and technically interpreting from: Air Quality Assessments; Acoustic Assessments; Façade Consultants; and manufacturers.
If you have what it takes to bring buildings to life, please contact Human Resources via email email@example.com or on +44 (0)20 8763 5900