Energy Consultant – Glasgow
Hurley Palmer Flatt are a leading multi-disciplinary consulting engineering firm. We wish to recruit a talented energy consultant to work in our Glasgow office.
The successful candidate will join our Energy & Sustainability team, working alongside Senior Consultants and Engineers. The role is varied, and you will be able to contribute to a wide range of projects. You will develop your skills to become an energy and environmental specialist in the built environment.
We are a dynamic company that provide the best training, working environment and opportunities for professional and personal development
Job Holder’s Primary Objectives:
Assist in providing consultancy on a wide range of energy and environmental projects. The role will initially include a strong focus on energy efficiency and carbon reduction in existing buildings. Support team members and team leaders as required. Prepare deliverables such as audit reports, permit applications, presentations, proposals and other documents as required by the team. Maintain good relationships with our clients and deliver the highest level of service to contribute to winning repeat business.
Job Holder’s Duties Include:
- Work on defined tasks under limited supervision with some autonomy
- Responsible for checking the quality and accuracy of own work, as well as providing proof reading and feedback to colleagues
- Responsible for producing reports and other documents from standard templates
- Responsible for the effective organisation of information and documentation e.g. filing and compliance with QA procedures etc.
- Establish the client brief, and project outputs, with your team leader for each project, understanding the relationship between the fee and the agreed deliverables (e.g. the report).
- Assume role of project manager as required, coordinating with senior colleagues for assistance as necessary.
- Responsible for meeting agreed deadlines, and working within agreed budgets, timescales and targets, and for raising potential issues with the team leader as soon as possible.
- Contribute to and comply with HPF company policies and procedures (incl. those related to the environment and Health & Safety).
- Develop an understanding of new and up and coming legislation and how it will impact our business and our clients.
- Contribute to internal ‘knowledge share’ of best practice.
- Identify and pursue new business opportunities where appropriate with existing and new clients (with the support of colleagues).
- Efficiently and effectively investigate problems, identify solutions and explain concepts to clients and colleagues.
- Maintain professional knowledge of environmental, energy, carbon and sustainability legislation. Including the ability to understand and communicate the impacts of this, both current and future, to our client organisations.
Typical project Responsibilities Include:
- Undertake energy surveys and audits of existing buildings and produce benchmarks, energy performance analysis and development of recommendation to improve energy efficiency of buildings.
- Identify and quantify energy savings measures for all demands on site (buildings, process, transport).
- Provide ad-hoc technical consultancy on a range of energy management and regulatory compliance issues
- Preparing applications e.g. for Pollution Prevention and Control / Environmental / EUETS permits or Renewables Heat Incentive (RHI).
- Development and implementation of Environmental & Energy Management Systems (ISO14001/ISO50001). Including setting of tasks, ownership, priority and deadlines.
- Desk based auditing, foot-printing and benchmarking analysis pertaining to existing estates.
- Production and/or verification of content of corporate environmental reports, or CRC annual reports.
- On-site technical investigations / surveys / audits in order to identify opportunities, or to collate information for regulatory compliance. For example, this may include assessment of building fabric, building services, energy systems, business operations and housekeeping.
- Preparing phase 1 environmental due diligence reports
- Supporting the sustainable design, construction or refurbishment of buildings by providing expert advice to the design team / client / contractor as the professional environmental consultant.
- Production of investment grade reports and business cases using analysis tools such as Simple Payback, IRR and NPV.
- Undertaking stakeholder engagement at all levels of our client organisations to communicate awareness and collect relevant information to assist in delivering energy, carbon or environmental programmes.
- Project management of projects, including procurement, programme delivery, commissioning and monitoring of performance.
- Ad hoc tasks such as collating, analysing and distributing reports, preparing summary reports and researching topics as required by project teams.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- An MSc and/or BSc in a relevant discipline (e.g. Energy/Sustainability/Building Services/Engineering related degree or equivalent).
- Excellent communication/presentation skills.
- Competency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook & PowerPoint.
- Personable and a ‘can do’ attitude.
- The ability to project a positive and professional attitude at all times.
- Able to establish rapport and good working relationships within the project team and clients.
- To be able to work as part as a team and collaboratively and co-operatively.
- Knowledge of environmental legislation and other standards, and the ability to assess compliance
Preferred, but not essential:
- Experience in the same or similar position. The role level (graduate, consultant or senior consultant) and salary offered, will be tailored to the candidate.
- Language skills are desirable, but not essential.
- Membership of an appropriate professional organisation (e.g. IEMA, CIBSE, other).
Standard working hours are Monday – Friday – 37.5 hours per week. Salary is competitive and negotiable. The role will be based in our Glasgow office, and will include traveling to clients and other sites as and when required.
If you have what it takes, please contact Human Resources via email firstname.lastname@example.org , on +44 (0)20 8763 5900 or apply below.