Associate Director Development Consultant – London
JOB HOLDER’S PRIMARY OBJECTIVES
Assisting the Team Director in managing the ‘Sustainable Development Team’, within the overall Energy & Sustainability Team, to continue to maintain profitability in line with company targets whilst growing the team to maximise opportunities, market direction and growth and associated revenue.
Assume role of the Sustainable Development Team’s day-to-day line manager for workload including finances (P&L), project delivery, training and development, internal and external sales and marketing.
As required, assume the role of project manager on project delivery, coordinating with internal HDR | Hurley Palmer Flatt teams, other project disciplines and the client.
- Assist and support the Team Director and your building physics peers in all aspects of the Energy & Sustainability Development Team and in all services that the team provides.
- Line Manager responsibility for nominated team members including but not limited to project management, briefing and company quality audits and assurance. Undertake or input to Personal Development Plans for your team as and when required by your Team director.
- Taking lead and project manager role as required of the delivery of energy and sustainability services on development projects.
- Assisting the team director with Profit & Loss as well as Resource and Revenue for the Development team, in line with Hurley Palmer Flatt’s requirements and commercial targets.
- Delivery, lead role, management and support to include but not be limited to:
- Due Diligence of sites/buildings, including early RIBA Stage sustainability advise to our Clients.
- Planning strategy and documentation – Sustainability statements, input to specialist reports and design team reports as well as the Energy Statement, where required.
- Sustainable Building Assessments (e.g. BREEAM, WELL, LEED, Ska, CSH, HQM etc.)
- Sustainable Building Assessments credit/point deliverables (including specialist 3rd parties under our management) where offered by our team, and where a new service line opportunity presents itself. Including but not limited to the following areas Socia-Economics, Transport, Air quality, Waste and Recycling, LCA & LCC.
- Environmental Assessments and 3rd parties (e.g. Ecology and other services related to Environmental Impact assessments and or policy/legislation requirements)
- Support and where necessary advice our Building Physics line (NOx emissions, energy performance, daylight studies, acoustic requirements etc.)
- Advise on and utilise leading Industry software packages, as and when required in accordance with company requirements.
- Ensure maximisation of the potential of offerings available using current and future services offered by the development team, including but not limited to Environmental Assessment Methodologies, Planning Support, Energy and Sustainability Strategies and Building Control to support and develop the company’s delivery of sustainable and environmentally conscious buildings, this includes changes in legislation and policy.
- Maximise the potential of offerings available using current and future computational software packages to support and develop the company’s delivery of sustainable and environmentally conscious buildings, complete with associated high-quality services for the built environment.
- Maintain professional competency, knowledge and understanding of delivering the Divisions chosen Sustainable Building Assessment Methods and wider deliverables to enable you to deliver the design and certification of sustainable environmentally friendly and wellness and wellbeing inclusive buildings, including but not limited to assisting the company and their Clients in producing bespoke assessment tools as and when required. Maintain, and advise on, all professional accreditations to enable you to fulfil your role and delivery plus development duties.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the other Energy and Sustainability Team services: e.g. Building Regulation Part L and F compliance, Façade studies including Daylighting, Thermal and visual Comfort Studies, heating and cooling loads, Computational Fluid Dynamics etc.
- The development of computational modelling capability for analysing and delivering high quality sustainable environmentally friendly buildings and certification providing elevated levels of wellbeing and wellness and informed building environments. This will also include continually reviewing and progressing, where appropriate, the group’s core computational capability, accreditation and certification, internally and externally.
- Continually review and progress, where appropriate, computational techniques to analyse and/or illustrate other disciplinary work relevant to you services and opportunities, for example: artificial Lighting design, vertical transportation, visual static and animated illustrations, SMART Buildings, specialist groups. Including the opportunities of software/computational techniques that exist between different discipline packages and CAD or Revit.
- To assist piers and directors in the development of marketing material incorporating the latest technology knowledge and techniques available to the company and any third-party marketing company/involvement.
- Identification, development and issue of marketing campaigns linked to initiatives, legislation/policy changes, advancement in offerings, and to assist in developing the growth of the Sustainability Development Team and wider teams’ capital contribution to the overall company.
- To identify opportunities to invest, develop and offer new services within your service line Team and to support the technical delivery and offerings of the company as a whole.
- To incorporate the Company’s key business plan objectives as part of the overall development of the team and company.
- To share industry contacts and continue to attend networking events, where appropriate, including Client meetings and possible entertainment to enable the expansion of company awareness and offerings amongst existing and new Clients, with the aim of successfully securing new projects for the Energy Team and company as a whole.
- To identify and where agreed, deliver new ways of marketing to support the team and company in growing its marketing and sales capability.
- Maintain professional knowledge of energy and sustainability legislation.
- Ensure identification and pursuit of new business opportunities where appropriate with existing and new clients.
- When acting as project manager on the delivery of projects, co-ordinate with other project disciplines, team members and clients.
Preferred Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- The candidate is to have at least 9-12 years’ experience working within a professional energy and sustainability design environment, within a recognised sustainability or engineering practise and has a detailed knowledge of the design; procurement; installation; certification and soft landings process for major projects.
- An Environmental/Sustainability/Energy/Building Services/Engineering related degree, or equivalent or as relevant.
- Excellent communication/presentation skills.
- Must be Chartered or be able to demonstrate working their way towards chartered status with a leading and appropriate industry association e.g. IEMA. CIEEM, CIWEM, IES
- Clearly understand client requirements/objectives.
- Advanced knowledge of associated statutory legislation and other standards.
- Advanced knowledge and use of appropriate project and design analysis software.
- Advanced skills in project managing on-going jobs with limited supervision is required.
- Experience in the same or similar position is essential.
- Competency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook & PowerPoint.
- Must have a reasonable amount of people management experience, with skills in mentoring and development of others.
- The ability to project a positive and professional attitude at all times.
- Personable and a ‘can do’ attitude with resource management experience.
- Able to establish excellent rapport and good working relationships within the project teams and Clients.
- Expected to have good working knowledge in the following areas:
- Planning strategy and documentation – Sustainability Statements – specifically in relation to BREEAM, LEED, WELL, HQM, CSH and Fitwel Requirements
- BREEAM, LEED and WELL AP qualifications advantageous
- Assessment methodology credits/points that could be utilised to enhance applications for Masterplans and the general planning process.
- Candidate should have qualifications in BREEAM, LEED and WELL and/or a good working knowledge in CSH, HQM, Fitwel, Green Star and Estidama. Knowledge of other Assessment Methods is desirable.
- Tracker+ and One Click LCA software and tools working knowledge essential.
- Should have advanced experience in the support of planning applications in the London area.
- To be able to positively work as an individual and as part as a team, as well as in a collaboratively and co-operatively manner
The terms as defined in this document are neither exclusive nor exhaustive and the company reserves the right to amend these requirements in line with the changing needs of the business.
If you have what it takes, please contact Human Resources via email firstname.lastname@example.org or on +44 (0)20 8763 5900