Senior Fire Engineer
JOB HOLDER’S PRIMARY OBJECTIVES
In this role you will provide fire engineering and fire risk management input as part of a collaborative team on projects locally, nationally and internationally. You will be expected to implement and investigate appropriate legislation and design guidance for use on your projects, while learning to understand the total fire engineering and fire risk management concepts: from the client brief through to construction and operation. You will be expected to receive and manage various tasks entrusted to you by the Group Lead and take a role in delegated project management responsibilities on projects and on research initiatives, while learning about business development and developing a network of colleagues both internally and externally.
- • Design, manage and supervise projects, establish client brief, technical requirements, scope of works, cost plans and agree deliverables, i.e. report, specifications and drawings scope for all projects with your Group Leader.
• Agree level of service, and project fire design duties with your Group Leader, for each project, understand relationship with fee.
• Assist Group Leader with monitoring the fire engineering / fire risk management requirements for each project within your control.
• Carry out fire engineering concept design to detailed design, tender and contract on site supervision, to completion, ensuring projects are undertaken in accordance with design briefs and that completion deadlines are achieved.
• Will implement the principles of fire engineering and fire risk management on real projects, implement and investigate appropriate legislation and design guidance for use on projects.
• Liaise with the design team to produce co-ordinated designs that are technically compliant, to a consistent quality and standard. Provide positive contribution to fire design/project meetings. Maintain regular ‘in house’ design reviews and checks.
• Monitor and control project progress, design variations and project financial budgets where required.
• Monitor contract staff or third-party appointments.
• Maintain excellent client and design team relationships to achieve high levels of satisfaction and repeat business.
• Pursue new business opportunities where appropriate with existing and new clients.
• When acting as design team leader, co-ordinate with other project disciplines.
• Assist Group Leader with identifying and implementing your personal training/CPD requirements. Help develop working practices in the Company.
• Implement and manage QA systems and procedures on all projects.
• Implement Company Health and Safety. Ensure all designs respond to the CDM regulations.
• Implement requirements for ISO9001 & ISO14001.
Preferred Skills & Requirements
- • Educational qualifications to a minimum of degree level in fire engineering or equivalent are essential.
• Experience, especially in designing and managing projects with some supervision, ideally 5 years’ fire engineering and fire risk management industry experience. Must have worked in a similar position.
• Extensive knowledge and experience in fire risk assessments and fire risk management in accordance with the requirements of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 is essential.
• Comprehensively aware of appropriate legislation and design guidance for use in the UK.
• Experience in utilising computational fire software i.e. PyroSim, CFAST is essential.
• Knowledge of codes other than those in the UK (e.g. NFPA, Saudi Building Code) is essential.
• Detailed knowledge of active fire systems would be desirable.
• Must have a clear understanding of the total fire engineering concept: from the client brief through to construction and operation.
• Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) knowledge and experience; good experience on site and the handover of large projects is desirable.
• Competency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook & PowerPoint.
• Excellent presentation, reporting writing and communication skills.
• The ability to project a positive and professional attitude at all times.
• Good knowledge and use of appropriate project and design analysis software.
• Experience of monitoring contract staff or third-party appointments would be desirable.
• Personable and a ‘can do’ attitude with resource management experience.
• Able to establish rapport and good working relationships within the project team and Clients.
• To be able to work as part as a team and collaboratively and co-operatively.
If you have what it takes to bring buildings to life, please contact Human Resources via email email@example.com on +44 (0)20 8763 5900